9/17/10

The US vs. Britain

I have just read this text, and I have been asked to write about the differences between working in the US and in Britain, most specifically, London. One of the first things I noticed while I was reading this text was that Americans tend to be more open and outgoing then Britain’s. Though this isn't quite an unknown fact for anyone, it is still interesting to see how different people actually are. In the text she explains that no one in Britain would complain about bad service, considering this is seen as rude. While Americans do this continually, Britain’s really don’t won’t to be rude. Not that Americans are rude on purpose, but some might see it as rude since we all, not only Americans and Britain's, have different ways to "act". My opinion is that nor Americans or Britain’s are rude, neither do I believe that Britain’s are more polite and kind then Americans, or the other way around. As I wrote above, Americans are known to be open and outgoing. I think Britain’s are this as well, but maybe only with people they know. People they feel comfortable with. Perhaps they are like Norwegians? Living in their own little bubble closing their selves from the out world. Norwegians are known to be very kind and outgoing, but mostly only to people in their surroundings. Just like Britain’s. 
Last year an American woman came to my school to talk about her year in Norway and the differences between Norwegians and Americans. And as she was going on and on about how wonderful Norway is, she started to tell something that was interesting to me. She told us about a time she went to a food store here in Norway. Since she didn’t know that much Norwegian by that time she needed a dictionary to help her understand what she was buying, but this didn’t help her alot since it took time to look up every word. She then thought that maybe someone would come and help her, but she was wrong – and partly shocked. You see, if she had been in America someone would’ve helped her, but Norwegians like to do things on their own and therefore they didn’t take the dictionary she was holding as a sign for help. Luckily for her she got her groceries at the end. Anyways; my point is that maybe Britain’s are a bit similar to us Norwegians.


I find choosing between working in the US and in London very difficult actually, it all depends on what you want to experience at your job. If you want to be confronted and get some feedback not only from your boss, but also from customers, I would choose the US. If you want to work in a “safety zone” I think London is a good place to work. You get to do what you’re supposed to do without negative response from customers. I find the last opportunity quite boring considering I like to learn something, whether it’s in school, at home or at work.
As they say; You can only learn from your mistakes

Picture taken from HERE

1 comment:

  1. I think this was a really interesting post. There is a difference between these two countries. And not to forget that you were describing work in London. That means you were actually not talking about the British but more likely the English. It is easy to confuse Britain and England. Because I would imagine it is not the same if you work in Scotland or Wales, or Ireland for that matter. Norwegians are not very outgoing that is for sure. We would do better if we were more helpful towards foreigners here in Norway!

    ReplyDelete