9/20/10

Advice to fellow students!

This blog post is a response to this article that I read in class. I’m posting this rather late, but better late than never.

In short, the article is about how students today can’t resist the temptation of being on Facebook during studying and while those students who don’t use facebook scores higher on tests. Studies by Prof Kirschner show us that 219 students in America aged from 19 to 54 scores a grade point average of 3.06 out of four when using Facebook while studying, while those who do not use the popular social network scores a grade point average of 3.82. Ergo those who don’t use Facebook have a 0.76 higher average.

Here at Sandvika High School we use our computers all the time and from personal experience I can say that it isn’t easy to not take a sneak peak on Facebook during class. I am very aware of how it affects my learning, but yet this doesn’t stop me. Though we all know Facebook distracts our learning we continue checking our news feed and responding to various notifications. I can proudly say that my Facebook use is lesser this year than the last, and I can actually see positive results on tests and tasks. So my advice to you is to pay attention in class and check Facebook during your breaks. If you really can’t wait until your breaks log on for not more than one minute and continue your class afterwards.

1 comment:

  1. I think that is very sound advice. Because it is not very useful to say don't check Facebook. Because most students will check Facebook anyway. It is better to say do it certain times of the day. Try to do it during the breaks. I think you would say, my Facebook use is lesser this year then last year.

    ReplyDelete