11/12/10

Kite Runner, The Movie

These last two Fridays we have been watching the movie “The Kite Runner”. As you all may know we had an assignment further back where we were supposed to read the novel “The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini. Like every other case regarding novels becoming major movies, The Kite Runner novel is better than the movie, at least after my opinion. There are a few things from the novel which is not brought up in the movie, for example Sohrab’s suicide attempt.
I’m not saying that the movie is bad; I’m just saying that it’s not as good as the book. It’s not often that a movie based on a book is better than the book itself, so it’s not quite odd that Khaled Hosseini’s novel is better than the movie version. If you wish to see the trailer, you can watch it HERE.
Today’s advice: read the book first, and then watch the movie.

One happening in the book which I chose for an adventure in my double entry journal was when Amir went back to Afghanistan to claim Sohrab as his and to bring him back to America. Sadly, I don’t have any paragraph for this due to that I have returned my book back to the library and I didn’t find a paragraph that fit while working with my double entry journal. This doesn’t stop me to write about how this was shown and reflected in the movie in relation to the novel though.
This topic is very similar in the movie as in the book, except the part where Sohrab tries to kill himself; this isn't part of the movie. Otherwise from this the movie and the book are quite alike. Amir returns to Kabul trying to get Sohrab to America where he will be living with him and his wife, Soraya. Sohrab is emotionally damaged and doesn't speak much to neither Amir nor Soraya, but he starts loosening up the day all three of them go fly kites where Amir talks about Hassan with Sohrab. The movie ends with Amir running up a hill shouting: for you, a thousand times over. 
All of this is shown in the movie as well. 



Picture taken from HERE

1 comment:

  1. Yes you are right a lot is the same, and then some things are quite different. Like the episode you mention where he tries to kill himself and that is not mentioned in the movie at all. I was a little disappointed about that because it was very important in the book.

    ReplyDelete