11/26/10

Reflection on today's work

Today in class we worked on our own. We were supposed to read the following texts and find a method which would teach us the content the most.

- English in South-East Asia (40)
- The triumph of Japanese English (46)
- Manga and Anime (253)

I chose to take notes while reading these three texts and I worked on my own due to the fact that I sometimes work better this way. I think this was a good way to learn considering sometimes it may be good to just sit down and work with tasks instead of listening to the teacher. Usually taking notes doesn’t help me as much as doing various tasks linked to texts, but this time I believe it helped. But If I were to choose a different learning technique I might have done various tasks linked to the texts as well. 


The texts were about English and how it is used in South-East Asia, like Japan, India and China, but mostly in Japan. I learned that British engineers were involved in developing Japanese infrastructure in the nineteenth century and that the Japanese might have pronunciation problems due to borrowing Western words. I also learned that the Japanese sometimes understand the English grammar better then the native speakers due to that they study English very hard and that their language doesn't have the sounds "f" and "v". Another thing I learned was that a lot of Japanese films and TV shows derive from manga, and that Japanese manga are varied and deal with many different issues which appeals to all sorts of people of all ages. 
All together I am quite happy with how I worked and how much I got done. 


- Have a nice weekend! 



Picture taken from HERE

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, sometimes it is nice to sit alone and reflect on the material and what you want to learn from it. Glad you enjoyed working like this and that you learned something new about Japan and the culture there.

    ReplyDelete