3/16/11

To Kill a Mockingbird

You all probably remember last fall when we had an assignment to read the book "The Kite Runner". Well, this spring we have been given the task to read a book of our own choice. Our teacher gave us some options as well, and I chose one of her suggestions, "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. I've always wanted to read this book, but there have always been other books in the way. It's good to finally sit down and enjoy one of America's beautiful classics I've heard so much about. 


To Kill a Mockingbird is in many ways based on Lee's own family, friends and childhood experiences. The book deals with racism issues in the southern states in1 936. The story is told through the eyes of a young girl and we get to know her thougths about life, and the prejudices people had towards black people, girls and poor families. The book is written in a southern accent which makes the story more "reliable" and you really get the feeling that you're in the southerns as you read. This is one of many strengths the book has.

So far I have only read sixty pages, this because we've had a lot to do at school. I am looking forward to reading further though. I like the story, the plot and the southern accent so far, so I can't do anything other than reccommend it to all of you - and I havn't even gotten half way through!


Picture taken from HERE

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, nice choice! Look forward to reading more about how much you like it when you are finished with it. There are others in class reading it too. And I haven't read it yet as you might have guessed. But I certainly will soon!

    ReplyDelete